POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 6 Sep 2013 08:48:14
Message: <5229cf0e$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2013-09-05 12:41, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 09:30:56 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:
>
>> FAT32 can go up to 2TB with 512b sectors and 16TB with 4k sectors. There
>> are lots of utilities that will allow you to format a disk >16GB with
>> FAT32, but Windows insists on allowing only NTFS for anything greater
>> than 16GB.
>>
>> So it is indeed Microsoft adopting a "Father knows best" attitude.
>
> FAT32 is MS' filesystem, so they get to decide what features to support.
> Like many companies, they probably want the older stuff to go away, and
> this is one way of making that happen.
>
> Supporting old and outdated technology is expensive, and even a company
> as large as Microsoft has to watch what their operating expenses are.

Where are they saving money?  The code to fdisk a drive with FAT32 is
still there in the code.  In fact, they had to write even more code to
check the size of the disk before deciding if they would make FAT32 one
of the available formats.

>> And, yes I want to complain about it, when the only way to recover a
>> $150,000 network appliance is by booting a recovery utility off a USB
>> device to reinstall the OS on the appliance itself.
>
> That sounds like the fault of the network appliance manufacturer, not the
> company that makes your desktop OS.

Not just this network appliance vendor.  for example, every camera maker
uses high capacity SD and XD cards that are formatted with FAT32, and
most of the newer ones are 16GB or more.  There will be a lot of pissed
off users when they realize that the card they formatted in their laptop
is unreadable in their camera because Windows said, "I'm sorry Dave, I'm
afraid I can't do that."

All I'm saying is that for various reasons, people MAY need to use
FAT32, despite the fact that Daddy Microsoft doesn't like it.  And as I
said, the code is already there in windows, why not let the user use it?

Which was the original topic:  Microsoft not letting users do things
they should be able to do.

As for this particular instance, it's no longer an issue.  My employer
has forced all of us off Windows and onto OSX or Linux, for security
reasons, and I have no problem formatting disks there.