POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Sep 2013 19:20:46
Message: <522911ce$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 15:56:42 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Bad examples, all of them.

I'm not surprised you think so, because they undercut your assertion.  I
happen to think they're pretty good examples because they reflect the
reality of the computing environments I've had to deal with in my life.
But what do I know - I only started as a systems admin about 20 years ago
and worked with technology for most of my life.

But I'll indulge in further discussion.

> This is more like the "drug war" or the
> constant attempts to curtail "theft of music", which leads to totally
> useless bs, no actual progress on the real problem, or idiotic rules,
> like the recent, "It should be illegal to stream music you own.", never
> mind things like some ISPs blocking bittorrent traffic. The solution to
> the problem isn't to prevent supposedly "unusual" usages, its to do
> something about the actual illegal ones.

Such as what, exactly?  Got a better idea?  Because I'm sure those who
work on operating systems would love to hear your wisdom on this, since
you clearly have superior knowledge to those who, you know, /actually/
work on this stuff for a living.

> And, if your blocking
> completely **fails** to do the later, then, you know.. its just possible
> that the law is just adding to the problems, not correcting the problem.

So how would you correct the problem?

> It was a really poor, stopgap, solution, put in place because they
> couldn't fix their own security. They, in effect, built a wall around
> the city, because they couldn't figure out how to keep the thieves out
> in the first place.

So what are your ideas for keeping the thieves out in the first place?

> That isn't law, its paranoia, and behind bars is
> still "jail", even if the bars are, supposedly, keeping things out.
> Only, they don't even do that, laughably, the whole point is, "If the
> thief gets in, lets trap them inside the walls, with us, so they can't
> terrorize any other towns." Kind of insane, if you think about it...

Maybe it is, but I'm not hearing any actual ideas of how to accomplish
the goal.  If you're going to say that the way anyone's doing the job is
inadequate or unworkable, you must have a better idea.  So share it.
Maybe you could make a fortune productizing it and selling it.

Jim