POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Sep 2013 18:56:41
Message: <52290c29$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/4/2013 11:28 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Now....
>
> Suppose we take out the measures that prevent the non-standard behaviour
> that you're trying to use.  Does the number of botnets /increase/ because
> there's a new option?  Perhaps it does - so then it could be argued that
> those limitations are helpful (just like anti-murder/speeding laws have
> some utility, even if they don't prevent 100% of violations).
>
> Jim

Bad examples, all of them. This is more like the "drug war" or the
constant attempts to curtail "theft of music", which leads to totally
useless bs, no actual progress on the real problem, or idiotic rules,
like the recent, "It should be illegal to stream music you own.", never
mind things like some ISPs blocking bittorrent traffic. The solution to
the problem isn't to prevent supposedly "unusual" usages, its to do
something about the actual illegal ones. And, if your blocking
completely **fails** to do the later, then, you know.. its just possible
that the law is just adding to the problems, not correcting the problem.

It was a really poor, stopgap, solution, put in place because they
couldn't fix their own security. They, in effect, built a wall around
the city, because they couldn't figure out how to keep the thieves out
in the first place. That isn't law, its paranoia, and behind bars is
still "jail", even if the bars are, supposedly, keeping things out.
Only, they don't even do that, laughably, the whole point is, "If the
thief gets in, lets trap them inside the walls, with us, so they can't
terrorize any other towns." Kind of insane, if you think about it...