POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiation flickering : Re: Radiation flickering Server Time
3 May 2024 06:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiation flickering
From: clipka
Date: 5 Sep 2013 14:40:50
Message: <5228d032$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.09.2013 15:57, schrieb Jelle Duives:
> For a project we're using povray 3.7 rc6 to render a scene. For this scene (a
> scene with some houses, road & cars) we enabled radiosity in order to get more
> realistic images. However, when enabling radiosity, we observe a flickering
> effect of lights, a sort of 'disco' effect. Do you have any idea where this
> effect comes from and how to reduce this effect?

Radiosity isn't perfectly accurate, and may over- or underestimate the
illumination in any given region of the image; if radiosity samples are
not carried over from one frame to the next (which is the default), this
may lead to visible random fluctuations in the brightness.

If you don't have any moving elements in your scene (i.e. the animation
is just a fly-through), this can be avoided by saving and restoring the
radiosity samples from frame to frame.

If you have stuff moving around, currently the only solution to the
problem is to crank up the radiosity quality, to make the fluctuations
as "shallow" as possible.