POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Sep 2013 14:28:09
Message: <52277bb9$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:49:02 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 9/3/2013 11:09 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 10:06:35 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> The number of "botnets" around hasn't changes much, like, at all, so,
>>> the whole entirely reason for putting such a filter in, in the first
>>> place, is totally meaningless, which makes having it.. what? A good
>>> idea? lol
>>
>> That's like saying that not everyone follows the law, so we should get
>> rid of all laws.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> Its more like insisting that you build walls around the city, and place
> armed guards at each entry, on the theory that it will stop you from
> being invaded, while the "invaders", have.. tanks, bombers, cruise
> missiles..

Well, no, because the open ports are just another door.

> What is the point of a law that can't be enforced? Its different if it
> can be. But, if all it does is turn your computer into the TSA...

That's not what I said, though.  I didn't say anything about the laws
being enforceable or not.

So let's try again:

Murder is illegal.  We don't have a zero murder rate.  Should we get rid
of laws that make murder illegal?

Speeding is illegal.  People still speed.  Should we get rid of speed
laws?

Now....

Suppose we take out the measures that prevent the non-standard behaviour
that you're trying to use.  Does the number of botnets /increase/ because
there's a new option?  Perhaps it does - so then it could be argued that
those limitations are helpful (just like anti-murder/speeding laws have
some utility, even if they don't prevent 100% of violations).

Jim