POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Aftermath revisited : Re: Aftermath revisited: proof of concept Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Aftermath revisited: proof of concept
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Sep 2013 07:35:33
Message: <52232685$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-8-2013 16:37, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Very nice.
>
> I think the clouds look fine.
> _If_ you wanted to play with them, I might add some of the reddish smog colors,
> and / or perhaps "flatten" the nearer clouds so they don't look quite so
> shell/sphere-like.

Controlling the colours is rather tricky in a multi media environment. I
am still trying to get the white over-exposed part a bit darker, so I
shall do my best with some reddish hues. The shell-like aspect is indeed
something to look into. Not too extreme as it might suggest some kind of
vertical whorls, but then again...

> To be honest, I had to search for the girl in the render. (Hey, I'm getting
> older...)  Perhaps consider extending a shaft of light down to point at, but not
> touch her, or just highlight a portion of her leg, or the ledge to the side of
> her - to direct the eye of the viewer to the solitary figure in the scene.
> Maybe change the angle slightly or increase the radius of the crash grid to open
> up a little space behind her and increase her silhouette.

In following versions she will be better visible mainly because of a
better flash control and behind camera reflection (just a dull screen
but effective for filling in a bit the darker parts).

> Increasing the radius of the cage would be good - perhaps you could add a
> dent/deformation or two to give the impression that it fell from the sky and
> bounced once or twice before coming to rest?  The sphere itself looks great -
> maybe the cage could benefit from some more "crust" or clumps, or dangling bits
> of slime / algae / plant matter adhering from the impact - settling over time
> and drooping down from one of the aforementioned dents...

Hmm, no. In my mind time travelling is not equivalent to a cross country
race :-) It has its own problems though like falling from the sky (the
Roswell incident) or the equivalent of coinciding surfaces: coinciding
objects (the Tunguska explosion) ;-)

> I like the mist in the distance - do you think some mist or small curls of
> denser mist in the foreground would add anything?

Hmm, yes, that might be an interesting addition.

> I think the lightning has a place - but farther in the distance.  Maybe with a
> bit more yellow coloration?

Maybe. In any case it is already yellow but could be more. Tests needed.

> Not sure what your thoughts are about the skeleton - too red?  Go with more
> white and that sort of surface cracking/pitting?  Maybe a bit or two of crud /
> slime on that too, and perhaps a little light filtering in from an opening in
> the clouds?

Just the image_maps of the models used here. Not really natural perhaps
and could gain from some more texturing.

> I like the tree remnant in front of the sphere.  Maybe move it away a bit and
> have its geometry and condition reflect its fate as the shattered victim of the
> impacting sphere?

No. The stumps are the result of the wild fires following the Chixulub
impact.

> Great work - well beyond my current skill level!
> I always enjoy seeing the amazing results and creative ideas that get
> implemented here.  Thanks for the inspiration and sharing goals to work towards!

Thank you indeed. Glad to inspire others in turn. I am indebted myself
to a large number of people here over the years and still, I have not
yet reached their level of mastery.

Thomas