POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 31 Aug 2013 22:00:20
Message: <52229fb4$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/31/2013 10:50 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 18:19:45 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> What I *do* have an issue with is MS deciding that *I* can't get stuff
>> done with my own PC because "most" end-users don't need that feature.
>
> Such as?
>
> Jim

Hmm. How about - "Without hunting down some third party tool to do it."?
Though, some things the OS just won't let you do at all. Like, well,
nearly any tool used to test network issues is "throttled", as in, in
this case, "strangled" by the "protections" added, to prevent certain
types of packets, which "might" be from a virus/worm/botnet. I am sure
you could, somehow, if you wanted to spend stupid amounts of time
hunting for a solution, find a way to turn that off, maybe...

Or, there is the real good one, like.. trying to install HP
multi=function printer drivers, and finding that, and MS, their scanner,
and even other virus scanners, will all argue, "Its somehow HPs fault,
not us!", the scanner software itself won't install properly, since it
uses some funcky packet talk, even over USB, which "modern" virus
scanners, and firewalls, etc. including the stuff made by MS, all
trigger on, and cause to fail. For some damn reason, apparently, not
having the virus scanner, etc. "on" at the time you install this may fix
it, maybe, if you are lucky, but.. you can't fix the existing install,
no matter what you do, short of pulling the plug on the whole printer
driver suite, and, maybe, again, reinstalling, with your PC wide open to
the very attacks that you are supposed to use the stuff to stop.

So, yeah, I do blame HP for thinking this idiocy was a good idea (I
think what they did was run the same protocol via USB as they do over
the network, somehow, so it fucks up both ways, even with a direct
connection, but still.. Why the hell should it even happen at all, never
mind be, literally, unrepairable?