POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : On the nature of trying : Re: On the nature of trying Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the nature of trying
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 30 Aug 2013 16:32:33
Message: <52210161$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2013 08:55 PM, Warp wrote:
> Many modern games have really good and inspiring music. The kind of
> music that's very recognizable and spawns tons and tons of covers by
> people.

Perhaps I haven't played any of them then.

> Just as an example, take Skyrim. There are lots of excellent covers
> made from its soundtrack, such as:

You'll be unsurprised to hear that I haven't played Skyrim. I don't even
know what it's about. I just know it's apparently wicked-popular.

>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5K09mqwZc

Dude's got game.

>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3MFs7NptE

Not really my style, but certainly a cut above merely "generic".

> Or how about Portal?
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQB6szN72uo

Portal I will give you. At least, the music from the end title is VERY
iconic - and enjoyable simply as a piece of music. The music that
actually features in the main game? Not so much.

> A bit older, but hardly 8-bit music (listen at least a couple of minutes
> of it):
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLI3fSgccZU

Now THIS is more like it.

> One of my favorites:
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=135Gltfkxeo

Again, not my style, but better than most.

Actually, thinking about it, I say they don't make graphically and
sonically rich games any more. But now I remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HHqdLrTBwQ&list=PLE92A345D7C2A1B2D

Bastion. It's graphically rich (although a little bit samey after a
while). And while not every single song is a killer, it has some VERY
good stuff in there. And it's fairly varied. This one's my favourite
though. (Plus, it has that mesmerising narration which seems
inexplicably organic...)

So maybe it's not that they don't make 'em now, just that they don't
make _many_ of them...