POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ex post facto difference - "negative" objects : Re: ex post facto difference - "negative" objects Server Time
14 May 2024 17:42:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ex post facto difference - "negative" objects
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 28 Aug 2013 18:28:40
Message: <521e7998$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Bald Eagle <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

>> Indeed.  My question was, can I "force" a difference to take place _outside_ of
>> a formal difference{} directive?
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking.

Currently, you can "add" an object to an existing scene
simply by writing

   object {...}

The object will appear in addition to all objects in the scene.
It will be (partially) visible unless (partially) contained or
covered by other objects.

But you cannot easily "remove" an object as part of the scene
unless you either

- Know in advance which objects will be affected and apply a
   difference to them all explicitely

- Restructure your code so all scene geometry is in one giant
   union, then you can later difference away anything.

Basically, think of an #include library of architectural
components. You already have house, know you want to add
some windows to it. It would be nice if you could do it
by writing

   object {Shuttered_Window translate <to_where_I_need_the_thing>}

and this would not only add the elements of the window but also
"add the hole" that is required for the window. Note that the hole
could affect multiple elements of the existing architecture.