POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2013 18:57:53
Message: <521d2ef1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.08.2013 23:19, schrieb Patrick Elliott:
> On 8/27/2013 3:31 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> "Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>

>>> I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now?
>>
>> Hidden in the command prompt box: cmd.exe
>>

> Uh. No. That is a shell, yes, and it "sort of" works like DOS, but.. its
> oddly missing like.. every single added program that ever came with, it,
> including "basic" ones, like ways to make your "shell" wait for a
> keypress, or any other damn thing at all. And, of course, since they
> *don't* want you to actually use it, they never added in any of the
> features that might have gotten into it (if they had stolen them from
> say 4DOS, or others), before Win3.11 came around.

Well, they /did/ add support for blanks in command parameters at least.
And for long filenames, thank God and all the angels! (Cursed be every
piece of software that still makes any use of 8.3 filenames! - They're
/still/ in Windows for backward compatibility.)

As for them not wanting you to use it, what they do want you to use
nowadays is the PowerShell. Not that I've ever heard of anyone using it
to solve any scripting tasks though: They either seem to be using .bat
files for cmd.exe, or asking you to install python.