POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Aug 2013 17:19:14
Message: <521d17d2@news.povray.org>
On 8/27/2013 3:31 AM, Stephen wrote:
> "Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

>> I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now?
>
> Hidden in the command prompt box: cmd.exe

Uh. No. That is a shell, yes, and it "sort of" works like DOS, but.. its
oddly missing like.. every single added program that ever came with, it,
including "basic" ones, like ways to make your "shell" wait for a
keypress, or any other damn thing at all. And, of course, since they
*don't* want you to actually use it, they never added in any of the
features that might have gotten into it (if they had stolen them from
say 4DOS, or others), before Win3.11 came around.

Good example - you are not supposed to use it, so, even "edit" doesn't
exist in it. But, the horrifying, and useless, method of echoing the
file to the console, still is (where as 4DOS had a command they has
added, which let you load the file, and page through it, as well as
search). DOS *never* could do that, and relied, instead, on using
"edit", which was just a form of qbasic, which had its interpreter
disabled, and all the related menu functions gutted out of it. lol