POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : On the nature of trying : On the nature of trying Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  On the nature of trying
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Aug 2013 04:46:12
Message: <521872d4@news.povray.org>
When I first started making music, I had an Amiga 600, a copy of
OctaMED, and a pile of samples. I didn't even have a real musical
keyboard; I had to make do with the computer's QWERTY keyboard. And
yeah, I produced quite a lot of music. Much of it isn't worth much, but
there was quite a bit of it.

Today I have *thousands* of pounds worth of hardware and software for
making music. And with it, I've produced a grand total of about 5
minutes of music.

Now, partly that's because I'm no longer a bored teenager with a 6-week
summer holiday where I can stay up until 2am every day making music
around the clock. (Seriously, I used to forget to EAT!) I have a job
now, and sometimes I come home and I just don't have the energy to do
much other than sit and play Tetris.

But I think it's also partly the tools. I noticed the same thing when I
went from building a website in HTML to using a blog. When I was writing
HTML, I tried to make everything I wrote "perfect". When I switched to
using Wordpress, it was so buggy and useless, and the output so ugly,
that I spent less time trying to "perfect" my output, and more time on
actually writing.

Paradoxically, using an inferior tool made me more productive.

I think that may be what happened with music. OctaMED was
ground-breaking for it's day, but it's really quite limited in what you
can actually do with it. Simplifying grossly, it basically plays
samples. So you have, say, a sample of a note from a piano. You can play
that back at different speeds to create grainy, distorted piano notes.
(Just don't try to play chords! You've only got a handful of tracks to
play with...)

Cubase is, in principle, far more sophisticated. You can set up effects
processors and automate level changes. And of course, I'm using it to
drive a bank of samplers and synthesizers. I've got a library of 120 GB
of sample data covering drum kits, grand pianos, choir, pipe organs,
just about every orchestral instrument you can think of a name for, all
with multiple velocity layers, different articulations, and so on. I've
got dozens of synthesizers, each with hundreds of presets, and a
bazillion macro parameters to tweak on each one, not even mentioning the
possibilities for editing the underlying data.

It's actually possible to just spend 2 hours trying to find / construct
the right sound, and ever actually record anything!

But more than that, it's possible to be too much of a perfectionist. To
spend so much time tweaking that you don't produce very much. My latest
piece, Distant Lands (which, I notice, is now well over a year old) saw
me spending about 2 days tweaking the volume controls trying to get the
level as near to maximum as possible without clipping, and trying to get
the sound balance right.

It's a fact of sound editing that after a while you've listened to the
thing so many times over that you're not really "hearing" it any more.
Coming back to it over a year later, the mix still doesn't sound very
good. What can I say? I am not a professional sound engineer!

But maybe that's it. With OctaMED, there is no *possibility* of being a
sound engineer. No matter what you do, it's never going to sound as good
as a studio-cut track, so there's no point trying. Better to just focus
on throwing some fun sounds together. Perhaps Cubase is making me take
things too seriously.

But then, overall there seems to be some weird inverse correlation
between the quality of the tools and the quality of the end result. The
original Doctor Who theme tune was built using nothing more than tape
loops and test oscillators, yet it sounds organic and alive. The latest
incarnation was produced by a team with access to 40+ years of
synthesizer design, not to mention an entire symphony orchestra. The
result sounds... dull. It's completely unmemorable.

Similar comments could be made about the title sequence. The originals
used weird tricks with camera feedback and colour-masking. Today we have
the latest in computer graphics, and we get... dull. (Or maybe that's
just me taste in graphics.) Perhaps it's just a reflection of the budget
allocation though.

I can site numerous other examples. The original Star Wars trilogy had
comparatively little budget thrown at it, but remains wildly popular.
The new ones have sensational graphics (Episode I is literally the first
time I saw CGI characters who look "real"), yet the story is almost
non-existent. (This one isn't entirely technology-related.)

Portal was a fabulous game, even though it had few resources. Portal 2
was just boring, despite massively more effort being applied. It all
seems to have been applied in the wrong places.

In the early days of home computing, we had games with ground-breaking
graphical richness; games like Xenon 2, Disposable Hero, Flashback,
Shadow of the Beast, Abe's Odyssey, and so on. Today it would be "easy"
to make games like these; we've all got high-colour, high-resolution
displays and terabyte harddisks. And yet... nobody makes games like
these any more. They only make brown FPS games. (Again, maybe this one
is about fashion rather than technology.)

I really enjoyed HalfLife. But when HalfLife 2 came out, my eyes nearly
popped out of my head at the graphics, but the gameplay was pretty dull.

Having just said that, advances in technology don't always equal dull
mediocrity. Black Mesa, the Source remake of HalfLife, is graphically
far superior, yet still manages to retail all of the best parts of the
original. (Although I still don't think the aliens look quite "alien"
enough. Maybe it's just that bad graphics look weirder?)

In summary, it appears that advances in technology have a *tendency* -
it's not an unbreakable rule, just a tendency - to make people produce
less impressive results. The shining star of an exception seems to be
Pixar; they publish papers like my mum whines about her job, yet their
films continue to be a study in excellence. At least, until Disney
bought them; they seem to have gone sharply downhill since then...