POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate : Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Aug 2013 04:02:16
Message: <52186888@news.povray.org>
On 23/08/2013 11:04 PM, Warp wrote:
> However, one of life's little mysteries is that chocolate does that too.
> It stings like hell. But why? Chocolate doesn't immediately come to mind
> when I try to think of foods that would be especially irritating to a
> mouth ulcer. What is it in there that causes so much irritation? Normally
> chocolate feels so smooth and soothing, like silk. But to a mouth ulcer
> it feels like sulfuric acid.

Almost *any* substance will have the wrong osmolarity compared to body
tissues, so almost any substance hurts when poured into an open wound.
(About the only exception is suitably concentrated saline.)

The thing about chocolate is that it's very sticky; it coats things, and
clings to them. So once you get it into the wound, it's quite hard to
get out again.

(Fun fact: The bodily fluids of almost every large land animal have
almost exactly the same salinity as sea water.)