POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming Competition (US only) : Re: Programming Competition (US only) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming Competition (US only)
From: scott
Date: 21 Aug 2013 11:43:52
Message: <5214e038@news.povray.org>
> Each track exists twice so there's "challenge figure 8" and just "figure 8" so
> you could enter the normal "figure 8" now without polluting the competition
> results. There are no guarantees how long the times on the leader boards will
> stay - they might get reset from time to time if the game was updated. (I don't
> know if this will happen but the downloads section does say Beta).

OK, hopefully I'll get some spare time at home to have a closer look ;-)

>> Given the spread in fastest times so far it doesn't look like there's
>> many optimised solutions.
>
> That was how I judged it should be relatively possible to beat by someone here.

Yes, it's a bit different than the Gran Turismo 6 challenge I played
recently, after I thought I had done quite well I was ranked something
like 60000th with 100 people either side of me having exactly the same
time to 0.001 of a second! Then my PS3 decided to die :-(

Also reminds me of a web-based competition a long time ago which was
some sports game (the type where you had to press left/right arrow as
fast as possible), with prizes of TVs and music systems. I was very
surprised nobody else had thought of writing a small bit of code to win...