POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unexpected : Re: Unexpected Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unexpected
From: Warp
Date: 17 Aug 2013 12:56:58
Message: <520fab5a@news.povray.org>
>    int abs(int input)
>    {
>      int value = 0;
>      for (int n = input; n != 0; n++)
>      {
>        value++;
>      }
>      return value;
>    }

Having been a teaching assistant at the computing science lab, I got to
see some pretty weird programs made by students.

For example, you wouldn't believe how complicated calculating the length
of a 2D vector can become in the hands of an inexperienced programmer.
(This should be a literal one-liner, yet even 100 lines of code were
regularly broken just to do this simple thing.)

> * return sqrt(x*x); // Evil.

Many C and C++ compilers will actually optimize that to abs(x). I wouldn't
be surprised if a C# compiler wouldn't do the same...

--
                                                          - Warp