POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2013 19:13:27
Message: <520abd97$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:47:05 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> On 8/12/2013 4:14 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> We need term limits, and restrictions on leaving government and working
>> for governmental lobbies.  Such a high percentage of people in elected
>> office go on to become lobbyists that while they're legislating,
>> they're thinking about their own future jobs and appeasing their future
>> bosses.
>>
> You are forgetting: Kill 'Citizens United'. It doesn't matter if you fix
> the rest, if some corpseration can funnel shit loads of money at bribing
> them into office.

Absolutely agree that CU needs to go away.  I really think the supreme
court got it wrong - that money = speech and corporations = people is
just ridiculous.  People on both sides of the political aisle agree.

> I mean, what is it with radicals anyway, that they always have to call
> something the total opposite of what it is. If they had a, "Save The
> Fuzzy Bunnies", bill, it would actually contain legislation that
> provided open, year round, licenses to kill people's pet rabbits. I
> suppose, we can add "citizens" to the list, along with "family", and
> "values" as a near certainty that they people behind it are full of
> shit, and believe in none of the things listed.

I don't know - I see this all the time and wonder myself what it is about
cutesy naming on legislation, as if "PATRIOT Act" were some sort of
marketing name so people could say of those who don't support it that
they're "not patriotic".  Stupid BS way of drafting legislation - but
then again, legal documents always are overblown, wordy, and often
written to obfuscate what's actually in them.

> Hmm. Probably get a kick out of this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx9eH3qOJXw

Yep, that was what I would describe as a "very funny bit" that John
Oliver did. :)