POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: andrel
Date: 13 Aug 2013 18:25:29
Message: <520AB257.5030809@gmail.com>
On 13-8-2013 0:42, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 8/11/2013 11:04 AM, andrel wrote:
>
>> Two years ago we had the bird flu disaster. I.e. there was no disaster.
>> Still a couple of companies made good money from it. One side effect is
>> that the WHO is in trouble now. Both financially and morally. Does not
>> help either.
>
> Which is, as unfortunate as it is idiotic. WHO determines its actions
> based on the statistical odds that something bad is likely to happen.
> The math told them, "There is a bloody high probability that this mix of
> genes could prove to be a serious problem, if it became wide spread."
> Turned out not to be accurate. But, the average person always seems to
> assume that the "experts" are omniscient.

In this case there was the additional problem that people that were
claiming there would potential be a big disaster had ties to the
industry that profited from the 'precautions'. That was the moral
problem here. If there had been a great outbreak, of course nobody would
have complained, that is true.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.