POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Aug 2013 18:51:28
Message: <520966f0$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2013 1:47 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 22:35:21 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>> Except that we (taking the liberty to speak also for your other
>> 'opponents') don't think humanity is stupid.
>
> Yep.  I think most of humanity understands that issues are not as black
> and white/simple as some would make them out to be.  It's naïve to
> oversimplify things without regard for their inherent complexity - and
> when people are involved, life is rarely simple.
>
> That's one of the problems we have with extreme conservatives over here
> in the US, I think.  (And, truth be told, extreme liberals as well)
>
> Jim

To be honest, if you define "conservative" as, "Having a strict dogma,
which must be followed.", then.. there is no "extreme liberals". The
problem is inflexibility, from both extremes, with respect to accepting
any fact, idea, or proposition, which doesn't fit their perception of
how the universe works. That, and, much more to the point, both fear of
the imagined consequences, and denial of the possibility they could be
wrong about it.

We have, in effect, the problem that nothing ever broke the back of the
evangelical/Pentecostal type movements in the US, the middle ground has
become something that no one, outside maybe the middle east, or parts of
Africa (where they might open the meeting with an argument about altie
meds, and close it with a vote on what to do about the local population
of "witches" they think are stealing their socks at the laundry), might
call "centrist", and the left fringe has reacted to the rise of the
right fringe by radicalizing at well. By comparison, most of the
bullshit we see in the US would never happen in most of Europe, and if
it did, the people involved would be laughed out of the room.