POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Aug 2013 18:42:32
Message: <520964d8$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/2013 11:04 AM, andrel wrote:

> Two years ago we had the bird flu disaster. I.e. there was no disaster.
> Still a couple of companies made good money from it. One side effect is
> that the WHO is in trouble now. Both financially and morally. Does not
> help either.

Which is, as unfortunate as it is idiotic. WHO determines its actions
based on the statistical odds that something bad is likely to happen.
The math told them, "There is a bloody high probability that this mix of
genes could prove to be a serious problem, if it became wide spread."
Turned out not to be accurate. But, the average person always seems to
assume that the "experts" are omniscient.

Its actually kind of ironic. In this case, everyone got pissed because
they said, "We think there is a big change of a huge problem here." In
the case of, for example, Katrina, you had some "expert" claiming that
the sea level rise was "within" acceptable statistical ranges, with
respect to spilling over the levees, and they actually **lied**,
claiming that the maximum level was a few feet under the max levee
height, without including the "statistical" factor, that it might be
something like 10 feet higher or lower than that. If the ass had turned
out right, he would have been praised for it. Instead, he guessed wrong,
and it was a disaster, and everyone blamed pretty much ***everyone
else***, including the ones that knew he had lied.

When it comes to things can can kill people, being right as as bad as
being dead wrong, depending "entirely" on whether you got it wrong and
people died, or you got it wrong, and everyone starts whining that you
cried wolf, and they will, more often than not, try to take everyone
around you down with you, for the "mistake".