POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Aug 2013 19:10:41
Message: <520819f1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 00:31:44 +0200, clipka wrote:

> By the way, the answer to this question is: As long as I have no bloody
> f***ing idea how many lives it would save and how many it would cost,
> I'd bloody f***ing advocate not imposing it on any unwilling person, and
> rather go with what can be achieved by the voluntary variant.

That's a pretty good point.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/
ApprovedProducts/UCM142576.pdf

This is about the smallpox vaccine, and there's a 1 in 175 chance of a
bad reaction to it.  That's given that the vaccine is handled well and
not contaminated, and there's competent medical care nearby.

Given that in the western world (US, Canada, parts of Europe at least)
there's a shortage of competent licensed medical practitioners available,
it seems irresponsible to me to risk 1 in 175 on a vaccine that's known
to cause such symptoms as:

 chest pain or pressure

 fast or irregular heartbeat

 breathing problems

Especially when those symptoms are serious enough that the CDC recommends
getting immediate emergency care if you have those symptoms.

This particular vaccine should also not be given to people who:

 have leukemia

 have lymphoma

 have had a bone marrow or organ transplant

 have cancer that has spread

 have HIV, AIDS

 have cellular or humoral immune deficiency

 are being treated with radiation

 are being treated with steroids, prednisone, or cancer drugs

So of course, in third world countries, we have a good record of
diagnoses of these conditions, right, Warp?

Forcing everyone to get this smallpox vaccine *will* result in deaths.
Surely you are not so heartless as to say "vaccinate everyone whether
they want it or not and whether it will kill them or not due to an
undiagnosed medical condition".

Surely this is more than a *numbers* issue for you, isn't it?

Jim