POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: andrel
Date: 11 Aug 2013 16:35:25
Message: <5207F589.60208@gmail.com>
On 11-8-2013 21:31, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> In conclusion:
>> Getting rid of polio was a good thing. Yet, the method used then, could
>> not be applied now. Both because we think different about human rights
>> now *and* because the people you would want to vaccinate are thinking
>> different.
>
> This is, in fact, pretty much what I said in my original post in response
> to the post about Gates foundation polio vaccination campaign in this
> thread. In other words, that it's a pitty that it won't work like the
> smallpox campaign did because the cultural zeitgeist has changed.
>
> Many people will suffer, get crippled and even die because of stupid
> superstition as well as changed notions in political correctness. People
> who wouldn't need to suffer. Humanity is stupid.

Except that we (taking the liberty to speak also for your other
'opponents') don't think humanity is stupid. You can't get back to that
time without also loosing the benefits of our time. There was a small
time-window in which the smallpox campaign could have worked and luckily
it was a disease where the approach turned out to work. Humanity got
double lucky, I don't count on it to work again next time. It might, or
it might not. Even if it would work for polio, the downside of forcing
it is too risky to try that approach.

In the long run it will probably be eradicated but mainly because
education and standards of living improves. Force will probably only
play in the hands of those who don't want the situation to improve
because they benefit from the poverty and ignorance of others. Which
means that force might actually be counterproductive and delay the
eradication of polio.

Humanity has become wiser and the human interactions have become more
complex. I am quite happy with that. Even if it means that polio will be
longer with us. Which is obviously not my goal. On the contrary, by
trying to increase the availability of appropriate biomedical technology
in developing countries, we* hope to create an environment where the
polio campaign has a bigger change of success. I hope you will also play
your role in this campaign in a way that fits you.

*) the IFMBE together with our friends in the IOMP

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.