POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Warp
Date: 11 Aug 2013 08:30:30
Message: <520783e6@news.povray.org>
> It should /not/ be administered to people who are unwilling to accept
> that procedure; first of all I doubt that /any/ vaccination is without
> risk - if only because in the course of production of the vaccine
> something might go wrong, causing people to be infected with polio
> rather than vaccinated against it. How many polio victims are you
> willing to risk in order to protect others?

And once again we come back to the question: Do you think the smallpox
vaccination program (which was sometimes administered via borderline
force), which has saved millions of lives, was a bad thing?

If the same western culture zeitgeist had been in place in the 60's and
70's as today, smallpox would very probably still exist, killing countless
innocent people who wouldn't have to die from that disease.

If you could go back in time, and had the power, would you have stopped
those semi-forced vaccinations from taking place, risking smallpox not
being completely eradicated, with the subsequent deaths up to this day?

I'm not going to fall into namecalling anymore, but I am going to say
with absolute sincerity that I would not do that even if I could. I see
the lives of all those people as more important than our western moral
sensibilities. If you really want to call it "totalitarianism" then you
can go ahead. It won't change my mind.

People here are comparing forced vaccination programs to totalitarianism
and eugenics. However, a better comparison would be mandatory elementary
education.

Most western countries have mandatory elementary education. The opinion
of the "victims" isn't asked. Parents who would refuse to allow their
children to go to school will be met with ever-increasing sanctions, up
to their children being taken into custody by force.

This would be an even better argument for this kind of state to be
classified as "totalitarian", because it is literally a form of government
where said government imposes its power on its own citizens, disregarding
individual opinions. Yet nobody in their right mind would call this
totalitarianism.

--
                                                          - Warp