POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Aug 2013 00:30:24
Message: <52071360$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/10/2013 3:00 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> If you agree that those millions of lives were worth the worldwide
> smallpox vaccination program, then you have not business in criticizing
> the worldwide polio vaccination program, or else you are just a hypocrite.
>
> If you don't agree that the millions of lives were worth the vaccination
> program, then I don't even want to write the words that come to mind to
> describe what you are, because it's nauseating to even think."
>
> (Yes, the implication is there - "if you don't agree with what I'm
> saying, then I don't even want to write the words that come to mind to
> describe what you are" - you set up a strawman and knock it down by
> implying that those who don't agree with you are sick.)

Hmm. I am not going to defend Warp's spiral into poor defense of an
argument, but, I will toss in my two cents. "Mandatory Public
Education". Every argument you can make against forced vaccines can be
made against public education, and often is. But, we can also see the
immediate consequence of "good" education, and the decline of thinking,
skills, etc., from "not" having it. And, very nearly the exact same
argument is made, by those attempting to get rid of, undermine, or
replace is, "We should be allowed to choose." They even went so far as,
during the Reagan administration, actually passing laws that "prevented"
some states from extending that education, as a free service, into
colleges. All because people who can't tell their ass from their elbows,
or the East India company in Pirate of the Caribbean, from the same
entity, in the real history books, don't want to be "dictated to" by
"totalitarians, bent on making their kids think the wrong way."

Its hardly a surprise that the "method" these people want to employ
amounts to, one other subjects, including "prayer in schools", is also
"totalitarian", and aimed at simply replacing the current perceived
dictators with there own. As bad as it may sound, sometimes, you do need
the Havelock Vetinari's in charge of some things, even if its just to
keep the Winders and and Snapcases out (for those that don't get this -
Vetinari is the dictator of Ank-Morpork, in the disc world series, and
no longer on the assissin's list, due to everyone deciding that, for the
first time, the city was actually working. Winder was a total nutcase...
think.. a dark ages version of Nixon, and Snapcase, while not seeing
sedition, and murders under every rock, was, otherwise.. worse.)