POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Warp
Date: 10 Aug 2013 15:02:02
Message: <52068e2a@news.povray.org>
> If, however, you're going to continue to engage in ad hominem attacks
> against those you disagree with, then we're done here.

You don't even know what "ad hominem" means.

"Argumentum ad hominem" is a claim that tries to say that someone's
argument is invalid or suspicious because of something objectionable
about that person. In other words "you shouldn't listen to him because
he is (something objectionable)".

A couple of examples:

"He doesn't accept the theory of evolution, therefore he's an idiot"
is *not* an ad hominem.

"He is in jail for tax fraud, and thus you shouldn't be listening to
what he has to say about the theory of evolution" *is* an ad hominem.
(He might be wrong about evolution, but he being in jail for tax fraud
is completely irrelevant to the issue.)

Nowhere have I said that your argument is wrong because of what kind of
person you are, or what you have done, or anything of the sorts.

--
                                                          - Warp