POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Aug 2013 02:44:27
Message: <5205e14b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/08/2013 01:40, Warp nous fit lire :
>> Your logic here is "the ends justify the means".
>
> The millions of saved lives justified the means. Yes.
>
>> So I'll ask the question:  Do you believe that "the ends justify the
>> means" is always a good argument?
>
> Always? Of course not.
>
> When it has been scientifically and empirically proven with absolute
> certainty that the program will save millions of lives, then it is
> perfectly justified.

But what if... 30 or 40 years later it is discovered that the program
had a delayed side-effect which was not expected.

Look at penicillin: wonderful products in the forty's, yet its usage has
now contributed to the fact that some dangerous bacteria becomes
resistant to it (and the competing bacteria which kept the other as
exception were also reduced, changing the balance)