POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Aug 2013 21:00:05
Message: <52059095$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 19:37:48 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> A totalitarian regime is a regime
>
> And that's the point. It's a regime, a form of government.
>
> Going somewhere, doing something, and then leaving, is not a form of
> government and has absolutely nothing to do with totalitarianism. Not
> even if that something were a negative thing.

While you may find totalitarianism defined as a form of government,
totalitarianism is an extreme form of authoritarianism, which elevates
the power of authority over individual freedoms.

Totalitarianism is the extremist point that you're advocating (whether
there is a government involved or not) in that your authority trumps the
individual freedoms of those you would subject to your rules and enforce
your "moral superiority" on.

Now, if you want to debate this in a rational manner that doesn't involve
telling the people who disagree with you that they're horrible people or
monsters, I'm happy to do that.

If, however, you're going to continue to engage in ad hominem attacks
against those you disagree with, then we're done here.

Jim