POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: scott
Date: 9 Aug 2013 11:16:53
Message: <520507e5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Just in case you're wondering, this is not meant to be serious, just
>> looking it at purely from a logic / economics point of view :-)
>
> Logically, what will "we" do with the power establishment necessary to
> make this happen once our humanitarian mission is complete?

Oh there's plenty more to solve that would be possible now with such
powers... AIDS would be a good start, that kills about 2 million people
a year, given that a life is considered to be worth about $8m
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_life) that means we should allow
spending up to $16tn to eradicate it, then after a year we'd be in
profit. $16tn is $2200 per person on the planet, should be plenty enough
to test every person, however the question is what to do with the people
who test positive.

You can't just kill them, because apparently there are estimated to be
up to 35 million people, and that would far outweigh any benefit to
eradicating AIDS in the short term. You could closely monitor them to
ensure they don't spread the disease by any means, but that would
certainly push the cost way above $2200. Best option would be ship them
to a big island somewhere, preferably one already with an infrastrure
(existing residents who don't have AIDS can swap lives with the incoming
infected ones), they would live completely normal lives, jobs, have
access to medical care, provide value to society and the economy etc,
the only restriction being never allowed to leave the island and anyone
who visits is also never allowed to leave, or maybe return visits could
be allowed under very strict conditions. Job done.

Hmmm, what next?