POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: scott
Date: 9 Aug 2013 05:31:49
Message: <5204b705$1@news.povray.org>
>> And as said, the modern western zeitgeist is to submit to their beliefs
>> and not force them.
>
> Or to recognize that it's actually not very nice to tell people "we know
> better than you" and to force them to do something they don't want.
>
> Yes, we do need to vaccinate people against these deadly diseases, but I
> don't think it's a case of "political correctness" gone wrong to
> recognize that nobody has the right to *force* someone to take an
> injection because *we say* it's good for them.

On the other hand, nobody has the right to kill others by refusing a
proven medical vaccination. But because you're only going to affect some
statistic in a table of deaths in 10 years time, nobody cares.

The problem with this issue is that the person deciding whether to take
the injection or not doesn't have to bear the full cost of their
decision. For example by deciding not to have the injection that results
in more people needing medical care or dying, plus the cost of
continuing vaccinations for the rest of the world.

In order to make it fairer, the cost of treating and vaccinating the
rest of the world should be divided up between the number of people who
refuse the injection, and they are made to pay that. If they can't
afford that, they are given the injection forcefully :-)