POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh leg bones : Re: Mesh leg bones Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh leg bones
From: andrel
Date: 8 Aug 2013 18:08:28
Message: <520416CD.6000307@gmail.com>
On 7-8-2013 23:34, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> I think most things here can be done within Blender alone,
>> but I'm not familiar enough with Blender since it is really hard to learn.
>
> Yeah.  It looks VERY powerful, but at the expense of a steep learning curve and
> grappling with 10 million buttons.  :)

I think I disagree, although it depends on what you want to do. If you
want to do a movie with camera tracking and overlays of 3D models and
special effects, yes that is difficult. But it would be in any (set of)
program(s). The game students that I worked with preferred it over e.g.
Maya, because that has a much more complicated interface. There is also
a large set of good tutorials and an active and helpful community.

>> What have in your mind? Fractures are as indivual as the forces are causing
>> them.
>
> Spiral fracture of the right tibia, distal to the tibial diaphysis, right mid-
> to distal spiral fracture extending distally to 2-3cm proximal to growth plate,
> 10% posterior displacement of the distal fragment.
>
> Medical papers suggest this is highly reproducible.
>
> It's probably only the actual tibial fracture that needs to me modeled with any
> degree of realism and precision.  The rest of the anatomy and movement are just
> sort of along for the ride, to give some perspective.
> I only want to _model_ musculature, not necessarily graphically illustrate it in
> an artistically realistic fashion.  The idea is simply to show that while
> external forces are being applied, a voluntary contraction or involuntary reflex
> will cause a torsional force to the tibia as well.
>
> Perhaps Rune, Friederich Lohmueller, Sascha Ledinsky, Christoph Hormann, Andrel,
> or John VanSickle may have some positive suggestions for me.  They all appear to
> have done impressive work in related areas of modeling.

There are some libraries of bones and muscles available, even for free.
I should have a set of legs (bones, cartilage, muscles, arteries, skin)
somewhere if that would help you. They need to be remeshed to be usable,
but remeshing you can learn in blender in a day (really, talking from
experience).

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.