POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Warp
Date: 8 Aug 2013 18:00:51
Message: <52041512@news.povray.org>
> Or to recognize that it's actually not very nice to tell people "we know
> better than you" and to force them to do something they don't want.

We can approach the dilemma from a philosophical point of view, or we
can approach it from a pragmatic point of view.

Forcing them will save thousands and thousand of lives. Not only theirs,
but that of other people (because the more people have immunity, the
more protected those few are who do not.)

You can talk all you like about what their freedoms and rights are, but
we are also talking about saving people's lives. And as said, it's not
only *their* lives we are talking about. We cannot stop them from
committing suicide because of delusion, but we can stop them from
spreading the disease to others, many of whom do not hold the same
deluded beliefs and who would very much like to be spared from the
disease.

> Yes, we do need to vaccinate people against these deadly diseases, but I
> don't think it's a case of "political correctness" gone wrong to
> recognize that nobody has the right to *force* someone to take an
> injection because *we say* it's good for them.

The thing is, we *know* it's good for them. With actual physical hard
evidence. And it's not like it's some kind of ideology or culture we
are trying to "spread" to them. It's a disease we are trying to cure
so that everybody will be a bit safer.

If you say "we shouldn't be forcing western values onto them", then I can
agree. If you say "we shouldn't be saving their and other people's lives
by force" then I have to disagree on principle.

--
                                                          - Warp