POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: andrel
Date: 8 Aug 2013 17:41:50
Message: <5204108E.2050205@gmail.com>
On 8-8-2013 18:56, Shay wrote:
> "andrel"  wrote in message news:520### [at] gmailcom...
>> So this is another way charity is harmful. (Shay, see how I also try
>> to neglect your point, by focussing on the metaphor?)
>
> Ha.
>
> Yet, I still give to charity, though I try to be very careful about it.

Please do, and indeed think about what you are doing and the implications.
In our federation we sort of tend to just 'supply' knowledge and
knowledgeable people. Even if we have the money to buy things that
someone in a developing country needs that is often not a good idea in
the long run.
I am advocating very much that the people in developing countries start
developing their own biomedical-equipment as soon as possible. My main
points are that almost all current equipment is designed to be
irrepairable, uses consumables, and need a lot of other equipment to
run. Like an electronic database with patient records. (attached a
picture I took 2 years ago in Tanzania of the database system there. The
lady you see on the back was the director of EWH.org )
That simply means that most of what we use now cannot be used in a
developing country context, not now, not in 10 years time. The equipment
donation business is about to collapse.

> Bill Gates is going to eliminate Polio, and I can't help but think that
> will make the world a better place.

Bill and Melissa are doing great work, but they don't cover all the
problems.
BTW for many things the right people are still the most important
aspect. You, with your skills, could do a lot of positive things in e.g.
subsahara africa, much more than the average CEO of a small NGO.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'medrec.jpg' (157 KB)

Preview of image 'medrec.jpg'