POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Warp
Date: 8 Aug 2013 15:38:50
Message: <5203f3ca@news.povray.org>
Shay <non### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> Bill Gates is going to eliminate Polio, and I can't help but think that will
> make the world a better place.

It would be nice if polio were completely eradicated like smallpox was,
but with the current politically correct western civilization that's
something that might not actually happen.

The eradication of smallpox in the 70's was rather "brutal" in the
sense that we just went to places and vaccinated people without asking.
Sometimes even by using borderline force. And it worked. It's basically
the first worldwide disease that caused millions of deaths that was
completely eradicated from the face of the Earth, and good riddance.

Polio is a different story, though. And not because it couldn't be
eradicated in the same way. No, it's different because the modern western
zeitgeist has changed a lot since the 70's. The western civilization has
built a self-loathing dogma that tells us that we just can't go there
and vaccinate people without asking. That's like colonialism and white
supremacy and stuff. We have to respect the local cultures and beliefs.

Which in practice means that some deluded people out there won't take
the vaccines because their belief system says that it's against the will
of their gods or BS like that. And as said, the modern western zeitgeist
is to submit to their beliefs and not force them.

Thus thousands and thousands of innocent people out there are going to
either die or be crippled for life every year because we are too
concerned with political correctness and avoiding the picture of
colonialism and western supremacy.

Basically, we are making up for centuries of colonialism by letting people
die and suffer horribly. Yay us.

--
                                                          - Warp