POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Aug 2013 02:22:45
Message: <52033935$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/7/2013 1:55 AM, scott wrote:
>> 5% walmart - minimum wage
>> 5% k-mart - minimum wage
>> 5% sterilite (a cheap plastics company) - slightly over minimum, but
>> they require 10 hour days, staggered, so as not to pay overtime (5 days
>> one week, then 3 the next, so they don't actually pay you more than if
>> it was 10 '8 hour' days.
>> 10% small businesses - almost all minimum wage, and less than 30 hours a
>> week.
>> 70% restaurants - require to pay minimum wage **only** if wages (at
>> $3.50 an hour) + tips is "lower" than the minimum would be, and then..
>> nearly all of them "pool" the tips, and divide them among all of the
>> staff, including management.
>> 10% general "other" jobs - some of which "may" pay more than minimum.
>> 5% The assholes that own all of it.
>
> Seems a very bad place to live if 85% of the jobs are (almost) minimum
> wage - I'd move to a different city where the distribution better
> reflects your typical national distribution.

Ah.. right.. Try - a different state. Only... Hmm. No, California, they
pay about $3 more, but, the cost of living is often so much higher than
the $3 will not make up the difference. You don't seem to be getting it.
This problem is now ***in every city, and state***. Sure, there may be
some total backwater places, which don't have the problem, but.. when,
somehow, all those people that can barely pay rent, manage to scrape
together the money to move to Midnowhere, Tennessee, the local market
will have to expand, the companies that move in will be the same, and
the cost of living will jump, and its the same crap all over. Though,
mind you, somewhat ironically, the ***highest*** poverty levels, the
highest unemployment, and the biggest supporters of getting rid of
unions, minimum wage laws, worker protection laws, environmental laws,
etc. is the **home** of companies like Walmart.

Its truly bizzare, but.. well, not too unexpected. The same states often
make sales, and/or deliver, to your door, of porn, sex toys, and other
things, illegal, promote abstinence education, and other similar
nonsense, but have the **highest** national levels of teen pregnancies,
incest, porn sales/ownership, and racism.

Its almost like that whole region of the country thinks its living in an
alternate universe, where voting against the stuff they do, and
supporting the politicians they do, etc., makes absolutely perfect
sense, while *actually* living in this one, in which these things range
between not working at all, to batshit insane.