POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Aug 2013 01:59:13
Message: <520333b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/7/2013 12:11 AM, scott wrote:
> This is why I really don't agree with people's reasoning about buying or
> producing locally. That's what we used to do and it's not very
> efficient, the people who would have been doing manual labour in
> factories or fields from the age of 10 are now generating far more
> wealth by being a shop assistant in Tesco or maintaining a machine in a
> food factory. This in turn allows them to have a warm, heated house with
> a hot meal every day, new clothes (and Sky TV, an iPhone and a holiday
> abroad each year etc). Their equivalents from 1900 could only dream of
> such luxuries.

Except, of course, for all the people struggling to heat their homes,
put food on the table, buy new clothes, and all the other stuff you
mention. But then, I haven't met a libertarian that seems to have ever
met such a person, understood what they go through, or, for that matter,
when/if they do, ever believe they are growing in number, and that all
those companies, selling all those "luxuriates" while paying the workers
crap wages, are helping make it happen.