POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Shay
Date: 7 Aug 2013 20:23:00
Message: <5202e4e4@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Elliott" <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> On 8/6/2013 11:01 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:

> US "libertarians" are not like those every place else. The best
> descriptions for their philosophy I have seen are -

Is this really what you think the 25y/o Ron Paul supporters have in mind.
Disagree if you will, but know your "enemy."

> On government help: The government is too big, and doesn't help

On government help: The beast has many faces. More money to the government
means more guns, more bombs, more drones. You can't fill only the left half
of the bucket.

> On worker wages: They can always find a job with more pay, even though 90%
> of all jobs are not "service" in the US, and they all pay minimum wage
> (this isn't even necessary, since they ran the numbers, and fast food
> places could pass on 100% of the difference to the customer, at a mere 50
> cent increase in the cost of the food, while **doubling** the salaries of
> everyone that worked for them, including the CEOs).

On worker wages: "Minimum wage" isn't the minimum wage: ZERO is the minimum
wage. Many of us worked for less that minimum wage (I did) to get into
certain trades. Salesmen are some of the highest-paid professionals; Many of
the best started off door-to-door, making less than minimum wage. We’re
kicking the ladder out from under would-be salesmen, mechanics, musicians,
and carpenters. MUCH more importantly ... (see below)

> On price gouging: You can always buy something else, somewhere else, which
> is cheaper.

On price gouging: Mercantilism is WRONG. The same people who would set
prices ...
Would exclude Walmart from local taxation in the name of economic growth ...
Would literally go to war to grow the economy.

> On crappy products: Well.. you can always buy the more costly item, which
> won't be a piece of total crap.

On crappy products: We agree that our government is selected by billionaires
for the benefit of billionaires. The difference is one of us would give that
government the power of selective taxation (tarriffs).

> On regulation: Regulations are bad, if they stifle my business, but good,
> if they stifle worker's rights.

On regulation: Regulation is how we cut up the big fish (and feed them to
the giant fish).

> On personal responsibility: Everyone should be responsible for their own
> mistakes, but.. uh, I didn't actually mean "me" when I said that!

On personal responsibility: If you wish to share the consequences of your
choices, you'll also have to share the authority over those choices.

 -Shay