POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: andrel
Date: 7 Aug 2013 12:39:00
Message: <5202781C.4020601@gmail.com>
I was only a few days away from off-topic and then this happened and
then I need a couple of hours to catch up. :(

Anyway, I get your point even if it is not the best example (AFAIK there
was no real existing mosquito net market). Clothes is indeed a better one.

As for my own field. I had the pleasure the last year to go a couple of
times to hospitals in less developed countries (tanzania, rwanda and the
amazon region). There often is equipment but it is second hand and often
broken (even when it arrived). This broken equipment draws valuable
resources to get fixed. There are plenty of examples where donated
equipment (dubbed "Junk for Jesus" by a friend of mine, after the most
common source) made the situation worse.
At one place they were offered a new CT machine, including service for
two years (uncommon, generally things are donated as is). The staff with
experience was seriously considering turning the offer down. After that
period they would have to fix it themselves, they knew they would lack
money and expertise to do so.
(Aside, my field is cardiology as some of you may remember. There was
one functioning ECG machine in one of the biggest hospitals in the
country, but they did have two state of the art echo-machines, and by
now perhaps also a CT. Well, if they also can use that to get a CT from
the heart, they will have another ECG amplifier when the CT itself
collapses in 3 years)
So this is another way charity is harmful. (Shay, see how I also try to
neglect your point, by focussing on the metaphor?)

There are hardly any biomedical technicians in these regions and they
never were there so there is in that sense no market disruption.
Some years ago GE wanted to donate equipment to a hospital in Rwanda,
the director of that hospital (no points for guessing her gender) said:
"that is OK, provided you train my technicians also". Which resulted in
a training program that was set up with founding money from GE. The
course was set up in such a way that the technicians during their
training still had to work in their own hospitals. I hope most of them
will keep their jobs after they have finished their training.
An interesting point will also be if they will get more pay because they
are now qualified to do the job they already did. Especially because
there is no money to begin with.
BTW I though it was quite funny to see someone mentioning that not
having to buy clothes would free up that money to be spend on other
things. Understandable for someone from a society where everything is
convertible into money, but funny anyway.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.