POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math question (inside box) : Re: Math question (inside box) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math question (inside box)
From: scott
Date: 6 Aug 2013 06:19:11
Message: <5200cd9f$1@news.povray.org>
> Or, in the specific case that led me to hunt for a solution, they can't
> be a) on the wrong side of a counter, b) farther than 3 meters from the
> safe, c) outside the building (i.e., behind the thing), or d) standing
> on the other side of the wall, near the safe (SL lets you pan you camera
> through things, with some of its controls, so you can't stop them
> clicking the thing, through a wall. This means a very narrow range of
> "usable" space, and distance. And the "alley" I need to test, is not
> much wider than the safe itself.

Sounds to me like you just have to bite the bullet and define a custom
bounding box (or group of bounding boxes if the shape you want isn't a
box) for each object.

FWIW most 3D games work like this, each object has the geometry, and
then also some form of bounding object (far less complex than the
geometry) for the purposes of collision detection. It looks like you
want something similar, a bounding object that defines the space within
which you can interact with the object.