POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math question (inside box) : Re: Math question (inside box) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math question (inside box)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Aug 2013 00:20:50
Message: <520079a2@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2013 4:43 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> The test against 6 planes would work, and is easy if it is axis aligned.
> What I said was that extending the "smart" 2D triangle-based-tests to 3D
> are to be a nightmare.

Still not seeing why two planes wouldn't, see my "is it in the aquarium"
explanation from my reply to scott.

But, in any case, I think there may be a simpler solution, which, like
my original thought, only requires "adjusting" the location of the
object being tested for, by canceling its apparent rotation (or, rather,
getting it lined up so its where the box would be, if the box wasn't
rotated either), and, it doesn't require a box at all, just an angle
test, and a distance (which depends on the angle). It does require some
checking, to make sure they are actually within the allowed angles, but..

Hmm. Actually, now that I think of it, that also have issues.. I am
thinking I need to check the distance, as per "directly in front" of
something, like a big door, but the "center" might be, itself, several
meters over the ground, so.. I need draw a "wall" with a piece of chalk,
on string, attached to a fixed "center point", not just a line... Sigh..
Why does 3D have to get so complicated? lol