POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: scott
Date: 5 Aug 2013 05:41:21
Message: <51ff7341$1@news.povray.org>
> But, hell, even I can't afford to buy "best", and I have fewer bills,
> and slightly better pay that like 90% of the people in the country. That
> is a **major** problem.

Isn't that you just being too greedy? I don't expect to be able to
afford the best of everything unless I'm a football star or win the
lottery or something.

> similar. Just because, in theory, you can buy something else, doesn't
> mean, in reality, that you can afford the time, cost, travel distances,
> percentage of your income you can afford to spend, or what ever else has
> been put in the way, to get it.

A long time ago you could only buy local, between then and now (when
there was plenty of choice) everyone has voted with their wallets that
they would rather buy the cheaper non-local mass-produced items. Large
corporations are simply providing us with what we want. If they thought
everyone wanted local items (and were happy to pay a premium), they'd
sell local items.

>But, at this point. People need better pay,

Just wait, the gradient of average GDP increase (in real terms) has been
a steady doubling every 15 years since about 1850, and has shown no
signs of slowing.