POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Warp
Date: 4 Aug 2013 05:15:48
Message: <51fe1bc4@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The way it has generally worked in Africa is - someone comes in to
> provide "basic" help, with the idea that, actually fed, and clothed, the
> people would be able to actually produce some sort of industry. Only,
> various local warlords then steal what ever those people now have, and
> resell it, someplace else, to make themselves rich, and the people
> everyone was trying to help are, if anything, worse off than they where
> before, because now the asses in control have more resources, to help
> them oppress/steal from those people.

I once heard a speech made by a charity worker who said that all donations
go to help the poor in African countries, and they make sure that the
money doesn't go to the wrong hands by only bringing things like school
supplies and such to those countries. If a thieving gang tries to raid
the supplies, all they will find is pens, books and such things that are
basically worthless for them.

These charities have good intentions, but they are a bit naive. The
criminals have their ways around that problem. What they do is to basically
hijack the supplies and demand ransom money from the recipients or they
will destroy them. The charity workers are helpless to do anything about
that.

--
                                                          - Warp