POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2013 16:14:43
Message: <51fc1333$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 14:27:41 -0500, Shay wrote:

> Nice.
>
> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message

>>> I think we completely agree on this point.
>>>
>>> One thing that bugs me about Linux is that an American is stuck
>>> choosing between using illegal software and giving up access to (most)
>>> media. Would be nice if I could just pay for those codecs.
>>
>> You can.  They're available from Fluendo.  Some paid distributions
>> (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, IIRC) include them as part of the cost.
>>
>> Jim

One might also argue "illegal in what locality"?  While some codecs are
patented, the patents aren't universally recognized, so in some locales,
using the OSS codecs isn't using anything illegal.

You do say "American", but in terms of global usage, using the codecs
distributed with (for example) mplayer is perfectly legal.

Jim