POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Shay
Date: 2 Aug 2013 09:30:48
Message: <51fbb488$1@news.povray.org>
"Urs Holzer"  wrote in message news:51fb8001@news.povray.org...
> Stallman does not require the "beer" part. In fact, I am slightly
> opposed to it.

I think we completely agree on this point.

One thing that bugs me about Linux is that an American is stuck choosing
between using illegal software and giving up access to (most) media. Would
be nice if I could just pay for those codecs.

> Definitely, but hardware is actually a thing, not just a number like
> software. Same for books.

I've heard this from a lot of people, but the only distinction I see is
this: Words, ones, and zeroes can be manufactured by the poor; (most)
physical goods cannot. The problem is that both are making $$$$ for
/somebody/, but, in the case of words, ones, and zeroes, the manufacturer is
too easily excluded from that $$$$.

> And finally, please keep in mind that money is in no way an accurate
> representation of invested effort, wealth or happyness. It has lost this
> property long ago. Nowadays even money is just a number.

It makes me happy to dig ditches (seriously), but I know that digging free
ditches for a megacorp would put someone out of work and increase wealth
disparity.