POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Urs Holzer
Date: 2 Aug 2013 05:59:24
Message: <51fb82fc$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

> "Urs Holzer"  wrote in message news:51fabb28$1@news.povray.org...
>

>> In the case of the mosquito net, the right thing is to give them a
>> machine that produces mosquito nets and teach them how to operate it.
>> But only one such machine, because they must build further machines
>> themselves.
>
> I gave some money to Africare last year and had a tough time deciding
> between (iirc) livestock, water wells, medicine, and building
> supplies. I tried to choose the one I thought would be hardest to take
> away.

Good decision. But I really hope that they had to build the water wells
themselves under close guidance by water well experts? Plus points if
they built the well with materials available locally (stones, clay, and
such). You know, they must be able to build and fix their own wells,
otherwise all is for nothing. Crazy thing is, as far as the reports go,
these poor people in Africa want to learn. There is something else that
pushes them into poverty, that's why you made the right decision to
support something that can't be taken away easily.