POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : text directive + vstr =3D garbled : Re: text directive + vstr =3D3D garbled Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:35:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: text directive + vstr =3D3D garbled
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2013 13:46:28
Message: <51fa9ef4@news.povray.org>
Am 01.08.2013 17:32, schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I did do that.
> I found it quite convenient to declare a variable for the y-coordinate and then
> subtract the scaled text size from it after every line of text.  Then all I had
> to do was copy and paste both lines, which gave me all the text syntax I needed,
> plus the "carriage return".
>
> The problem is, even if I output a single variable to the screen, its value is
> all bunched up on itself what appears to be horizontally.
> I say appears to be, because when I started spacing the text and scaling it, I
> got a weird effect where it appeared to increase the y-position as the text went
> across the screen. - not a variable thing, because it all happened from text
> contained inside a single concat directive.
>
> Puzzling.

Sounds like a non-zero "offset" parameter to me; that would also explain
the text piling up on itself.

Did you perhaps set the "offset" parameter to a (non-zero) scalar (i.e.
a single number)? The parameter is actually a vector, so POV-Ray will
promote any scalar value to <1,1,1>*NUMBER, while <1,0,0>*NUMBER (i.e.
x*NUMBER) is what users will typically want (if they bother about this
parameter at all; usually a value of 0 will do just fine).