POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: scott
Date: 1 Aug 2013 05:56:50
Message: <51fa30e2$1@news.povray.org>
> Rich countries are dumping free clothing by the ton to poor countries,
> especially in Africa. Some *African* sociologists are pleading the rich
> countries to stop that because they are killing the local textile economy
> with it.

You'd need to weigh up what was better, having a local textile economy
with a group of people unable to afford clothes, or no local textile
economy but everyone gets clothes. I don't know for sure what the answer
would be, but I suspect it's better that everyone gets free clothes
(some proportion of the ones who worked in the textile companies would
find other jobs). It seems the majority of Africans agree otherwise
there wouldn't be the "problem".