POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elements of Geology 3: final : Re: Elements of Geology 3: final Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elements of Geology 3: final
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jul 2013 17:55:12
Message: <51f987c0$1@news.povray.org>

>> I think I have reached the final version of this image.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Beautiful.  I am such a hack in comparison....
>
> May I ask some technical questions?
>
> The mountains in the distance (love the layers) -- How did you do that?  It
> doesn't look like a simple heightfield; maybe a hightfield on another? (or a
> heightfield turned sideways towards the viewer?)
The author probably used some isosurface. Add to that some clever
texturing. Add a bit of turbulance to break the regularity of the base
pattern.

> The trees (or vegitation) on the mountain foothills -- they look more 3d than
> textured on it.  Did you loop a trace() and place green objects there?  What
> sort of objects?
Not textures nut actual objects, probably some mesh.
Mesh are very effecient: One mesh can be placed thousands of times and
only reside in memory once. Add some random rotation, slight uneven
scalling mean that only 2 or 3 meshes can make a very beleivable forest.

> Similar question about the far trees across the misty valley -- how detailed did
> you make them to have them come out looking like that?  (Obviously, you don't
> need to model them to the leaf level at this distance).
Those don't need much detail. Some low triangle count meshes can do the
trick.

> And the close grass -- I've tried to make it with a bunch of triangles.  They
> were all the same color, though.  How do you get all the colors?  You don't
> model them individually, do you?
You can create grass patches as mesh proceduraly. Have a ground with
varying colouring, apply some pattern to the grass colour, maybe use
some short grass patches and some longer ones.

> Thanks!
>
> Tom A.

Alain