POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Shay
Date: 31 Jul 2013 13:42:30
Message: <51f94c86@news.povray.org>
We've all heard stories of misguided charity organizations destroying
micro-economies with no-cost goods. The stories go something like this:

* Wealthy people give poor people mosquito nets
* The poor people sell the nets for food
* The now-flooded mosquito-net market collapses
* The indigenous mosquito-net craftsmen disappear
* The no-cost mosquito nets get sold-off / used up
* No more mosquito nets. No more craftsmen.

Google, Apple, and Microsoft are now monetizing no/low-cost software and
*intentionally*(?) creating the above situation. The creators of that
software are making nothing or (MUCH worse) very little. The 'very little'
is much worse, imo, because I suspect the half-starved parasites will fight
to defend the host.

Not saying (or not saying) the large companies are evil, just wondering if
we should all be more careful where we put our "spare" money, time, talent,
and personal information.

Just a hunch. Definitely open to changing my mind on this one. I'm very far
away from the issue.

-Shay