POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Postcard from the Permian [wip 01] : Re: Postcard from the Permian [wip 03] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Postcard from the Permian [wip 03]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 Jul 2013 10:37:29
Message: <51f92129$1@news.povray.org>
On 31-7-2013 16:11, Stephen wrote:

> Maybe it is saying to the other,

That may well be true.

>> This makes me think about how we humans unconsciously (and erroneously)
>> project on animals our own attitudes. The /smiling/ chimp is a good example.
>>

> How true, although animals can have emotions similar to ours.
> About the same time that I saw the Komodo dragon (I was working in a zoo). I was
> with a keeper who was feeding Fairy Penguins. I said that they looked
> affectionate but she told me that it was just greed. Wallabies exhibited similar
> behavior, they would let people stroke them hoping for food.

I think that we often misinterpret their emotions into human
equivalents, except for those basic ones like pain and fear. Like you
tell, affective behaviour to get food for instance. Cats can gladly give
you all the affection of the world, but only in fair exchange of safety,
warmth, food, a welcome lap for a little nap. Not necessarily in that
order. And they can make you feel stupid too.

Thomas