POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Postcard from the Permian [wip 01] : Re: Postcard from the Permian [wip 03] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Postcard from the Permian [wip 03]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 Jul 2013 02:54:48
Message: <51f76338$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-7-2013 21:33, MichaelJF wrote:
> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>> OK. This is what I want it to be.
>>
>> Much better!
>
> Indeed!
>
>> Although the right animal's left forefoot still looks like it's floating; it
>> doesn't show enough ambient occlusion.  This suggests to me, "error_bound is too
>> high."  Lowering it would add to the render time, but without the high
>> turbulence on the sand, you might be able to forgo the radiosity normal on.
>
> I cannot see that it's floating, but may be I'm just to blind for that having
> only 50% eyesight. The problem may be the belly indeed. Smaller lizzards are
> dragging it over the ground but your ones are more comparable to komodo dragons
> which did not (all the time). So I think we should stop nitpicking and simply
> admire Thomas's wonderful work.

Presently, my error_bound is 1.0 which might indeed still be a bit too
high. However, what is visible is the back part of the paw which is not
completely on the ground. The fore part is hidden by the rock.

Indeed Michael, this /is/ a Komodo dragon :-) Totally anachronistic but
who cares? The image is not intended to be published in Nature. There
are Permian animal models to be bought on the web at ContentParadise,
but I find it a bit silly to buy a model just for one image, even if the
price is affordable.

As far as belly dragging is concerned, reptiles lift their belly when
active, even crocodiles do. The reptiles from the Permian are often
pictured in an erect pose (Lystrosaurus, Moschops for instance); see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJDejFGDwk. I am not too sure if that is
their most common pose considering their anatomy, but there it is.

Thomas