POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : next feature, please... : Re: next feature, please... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: next feature, please...
From: clipka
Date: 29 Jul 2013 00:30:51
Message: <51f5effb@news.povray.org>
Am 28.07.2013 23:13, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 28/07/2013 20:06, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>> I guess this image doesn't need too much explanation. Another feature to
>>> be included in that branch of mine.
>>
>> At the price of placing an extra parsing burden on the artist, data files can
>> have more flexible formats, and the scene file can recover from data format
>> errors.  The parsing burden can be considerable, but the difficult is usually
>> preferable to the impossible; plus, the burden may be offset by not having to
>> massage the data files in advance.
>>
>> More power to the POVver!
>>

> Is it me, or was it just the capability to read a single line of text ?
> (overloading the old read(file_handle, variable...) )
>
> I do not know what Cousin Ricky saw.

What he saw was the /potential/ that is in such a seemingly trivial
feature: It enables you to read not just POV-Ray's quirky version of CSV
data files, but any text-based format you like - .obj files, XML files,
plain old text, whatever you like. You "only" need to write SDL code to
parse the text you read.